Annual Sidewalk Inspection Information

Frequently Asked Questions...


Why did I get a letter stating I need to repair/replace my sidewalk?
The Kiel Municipal Ordinance 8.02 details sidewalk construction and repair, as well as guidelines for the annual sidewalk inspection. It is the City's responsibility to enforce the city ordinance, keep sidewalks in compliance, promote public safety, as well as reduce accidents and liability.

How do I know which sections of my sidewalk need to be repaired/replaced?
Sidewalks that are cracked, split, or otherwise damaged must be replaced. Slabs that are either raised or lowered with a 3/4 inch or greater edge can be repaired by mudjacking. If you would like the City to mark which sidewalk cakes need to be repaired or replaced, contact the City Administrator at (920) 894-2909. For further specifications on sidewalks that require repair or replacement, check out Kiel Municipal Ordinance 8.02(7).

When does my sidewalk have to be replaced/repaired?
Notice should be given to the City no later than December 15th, 2019 indicating who will be performing the work. The sidewalk work must then be completed by August 15th, 2020. If either of these dates are missed, the City may by itself or by its agent perform the sidewalk repair/replacement and charge the cost of the work to the abutting property owner.

Who will do the sidewalk work?
Property owners may either hire a private contractor to perform the required sidewalk work or do the work themselves. If property owners do not want to hire a private contractor or do the work themselves, there is the option to have the City contractor complete the work and then be billed for it at a later date.

If either I or a contractor replaces my sidewalk, do I need a permit?
Yes - permits are required. Sidewalk repair permits are free, and available at Kiel City Hall, 621 Sixth Street.

Depending on severity, cracked slabs can be repaired or replaced. 

Cracked sidewalk
Gaps between slabs or cracks greater than 1/2 inch (in width) for 3 inches or longer must be repaired or replaced. Level cracks can be repaired by being filled with concrete epoxy. A slab with unlevel cracks or a slab with 10 feet or more cracks must be replaced.
Sidewalk needs mudjacking

Polyurethane mudjacking can repair raised edges on sidewalks. 

Sidewalks with raised edges between sidewalk slabs of 3/4 inches high or greater for 12 inches of a joint must be repaired.  Per city code, polyurethane mudjacking is the only acceptable type of mudjacking.

Spalled sidewalks must be replaced.

Spalled sidewalk
Spalling means the surface of the sidewalk has surface imperfections making the slab rough or uneven.  A sidewalk slab that is spalled 50% or more must be replaced. A sidewalk slab with a missing piece of 3 inches x 3 inches or greater; or over 10 feet of cracks on slab must be replaced.

Grinding or concrete overlays are NOT acceptable repairs. For further clarifications, check out the "Frequently Asked Questions" document below. 

Sidewalks: Frequently Asked Questions.


Sidewalk Permit


Sidewalk Construction and Repair

Kiel City Code Section 8.02

Download "Sidewalk Construction and Repair "